DESCRIPTIONS OF ASSOCIATE MINISTER 300 LEVEL CLASSES
(Classes available to everyone; Completion of all classes Required for Certification)
|Advanced Symbols Interpretation*:||This class will offer the Medium a more in-depth comprehension of the communication avenues used by the spirit world. We are forever changed by the symbols conveyed to others through our mediumship. Consequently, as Mediums we are spokesmen and spokeswomen, translator and interpreter for Spirit.*Prerequisite: Symbols I and II|
|Basic Unity of Religion:||A study of likenesses and differences in different religious beliefs.|
|Discernment of Call:||Ministry is a vocation. How do you know it is your vocation? This class will assist the student in determining their forward movement into ministry by using the four basic steps of discernment, and reflective questions to explore a call to Spiritualist ministry.|
|Good Grief:||We encounter a wide variety of grief experiences in our personal lives as well as in the lives of others when we try to assist them. This class will help the student better understand the small griefs in life as well as the larger grief experiences which can overwhelm us. Learn how to move beyond grief to good grief. This class can be used as a healing elective.|
|Introduction to Pastoral Care & Counseling:||The heart of pastoral care and counseling is to facilitate spiritual wholeness. This class covers basic types of pastoral care and counseling situations such as the meaning of life, crisis, bereavement, relationship, etc., and explores a variety of essential helping skills that every pastor should cultivate and use in their care for others.|
|Ministerial Ethics:||Explore ethical issues you may face in your ministry and ethical guidance for these issues.|
|Prayer:||Prayer is a very powerful and essential tool for everyone, particularly those in the ministry. This class will help students understand the for basic types of prayer: petition, blessing, intercession and thanksgiving, as well as other types of prayer that a minister may be called to make during their public ministry. The student will also learn about different ways of praying and how to create powerful, meaningful prayers.|
|Preparation for Ministry I:||Responsibilities of the minister as speaker, counselor, leader, and friend are explained.|
|Sermon & Lecture Preparation I:||Learn the structuring of a lecture or sermon and the difference between the two; topic selection; techniques of delivery.|
|Spiritual Healing I:||Methods, techniques, and philosophy of spiritual healing.|
|Spiritualism and the Study of the New Testament:||Focusing on specific passages which refer to “Spiritualism” (i.e. Physical phenomena and Mediumship), this course gives the students the tools to independently study the New Testament while offering an overview of the Gospels, Jesus, the writings of Paul, and other related material such as the history, structure, translations and versions found in the New Testament of the Bible.|
|Spiritualism and the Study of the Old Testament:||Focusing on specific passages which refer to “Spiritualism” (i.e. Physical phenomena and Mediumship), this course gives the students the tools to independently study the Old Testament while offering an overview of the Torah, prophets and other related material such as the history, structure, translations and versions found in the Old Testament of the Bible.|
|Spiritual Reflection for Ministry:||This class is experiential in nature and designed to help the student explore their inner leadings toward ministry up to this point in their education. Techniques include questions to reflect on their spiritual journey, spiritual gifts, spiritual disciplines, and how these experiences might help others.|
|Two (2) Elective Classes:||Elective Classes|
If you are trying to find WHEN specific classes are being offered, Click Here.
REGISTER FOR CLASSES
(information for those interested in becoming Certified)
- Indiana Association of Spiritualists (IAOS) member in good standing for three (3) years.
- Hold a current IAOS Medium Missionary Certification.
- At least one (1) full year of study after Medium Missionary Certification.
- 40 Credits (10 Spiritual Seeker, 15 Mediumship, 15 Associate Minister).
- Pass a written comprehensive exam covering current Associate Minister classes with a score of 80% or more and successfully present a two to three minute demonstration of inspirational speaking based on scripture to the testing committee.
- Development Classes: Four (4) classes with one (1) certified staff mediumship or trance development class teacher during one (1) week-long seminary. These four (4) classes will be the student’s choice of either Mediumship development or Trance development.
- Development Class Alternative: Regularly attend classes with a certified staff mediumship or trance development class teacher. A minimum of 4 classes and signature of teacher will be required.
- Student Services: Minimum of two (2) sermons during two different week-long seminaries.
- Public Worship Services: Sermon & Clairvoyance demonstration at the same service. Six (6) public worship services at a minimum of three (3) different churches. A letter from each church served stating date, service performed and signed by presiding Minister or board member.
- Community Service: 30 hours of community service with a maximum of 10 hours at Camp Chesterfield. Community service must be approved by the Dean prior to performing the service.
- Identify Ordination sponsor at time of Associate Minister application.
REQUIREMENTS (for those testing for Certification)ATTENTION STUDENTS PLANNING TO TEST FOR CERTIFICATION: All academic requirements must be completed before Intent to Test is submitted. Students planning to test for any level of certification or Ordination must advise the Dean of Education of their Intent to Test no later than one month prior to the Seminary in which the student plans to test. Application to test must be completed and testing fee paid during walk-in registration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, all are welcome. Classes, Workshops and Special Events all require registration. You can view all events in our Calendar and registration forms can be found on the event page or in the Downloads section. Do not be concerned if you see the term “Seminary” next to an event, anyone on a spiritual path of learning may attend those classes as well. Many events allow you to register on-line too.
The best place to start is to visit our Calendar; there you will find a listing of special weekends, week-long classes as well as Summer Series Workshops and other Special Events. Click on an event and you will be taken to the event page with all the details and registration information. You can also visit our Downloads page for registration forms. Most can register for most classes and workshop on-line.
Mediumship Development Classes are hands on classes taught by Certified Development Teachers with many years of experience. These classes are held in a small group setting. You must contact a Development Teacher of your choosing directly. Go here to view a listing of Mediumship Development Teachers.