2018 Summer Workshop Proposal Application
Attention Potential Workshop Presenters!
The Indiana Association of Spiritualists (IAOS) located at “Historic Camp Chesterfield,” in Chesterfield, Indiana is now accepting proposals for its 2018 Summer Workshop Program.
Anyone who is qualified or has knowledge or expertise in an area that would lend itself to a workshop or lecture format is encouraged to submit a proposal to the IAOS 2018 Summer Workshop Program Committee as soon as possible. Ministers, mediums, residents, staff and members of the IAOS, as well as non-members, are strongly encouraged to submit one or more proposals for presenting workshops.
The dates for proposed workshops must be between June and October 2018.
Basic Outline of Workshops:
- Workshops will be (as a rule) 3 hours in length (however, should a presenter want more time than 3 hours, then additional sessions can be included with the approval of the program committee). It is the responsibility of the presenter(s) to have enough material to last the entire time allotted. Participants may be given a short bathroom break during the workshop, but presenters must not finish early; please use the entire time period advertised for the workshop.
- Workshops can only be presented on days when a prior association activity is not scheduled (e. Blackout dates include ARC Week-long Seminars, Special Events, Mini-Seminars, etc).
- Workshops can be done on any day of the week, but as a rule, should be scheduled on weekends. It is recommended that presenters select days and times that will attract the largest amount of attendees. It has been found that Saturday and Sunday workshops attract the largest number of attendees.
- Workshops can be either from 9:00 am until noon or from 1:00-4:00 pm. As a rule, workshops will not be scheduled on Sunday afternoons during Camp Chesterfield’s regularly scheduled healing and church services. The times, however, may be adjusted (e. 9:30 until 12:30 or 1:30 until 4:30). In addition, if a presenter wishes to have an evening workshop (i.e. 6:30 pm until 9:30 pm for a workshop that might involve a healing circle, trance, or some other activity where it is best to have it at night) this will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you intend to have an evening workshop, please inform the committee of this when writing your proposal.
- Workshop fees for early registration (up to a week before the scheduled workshop) will be $25 per participant per time session (presenters receiving a 50/50 split of the proceeds with Camp Chesterfield). [From a period of six days before the workshop up to the day of the workshop, the fee per person will be $35]. If the workshop presenter wishes to use additional sessions, generally the workshop fee will be $25 per 3 hour timeslot for early registration [g. a morning workshop from 9:00 am until 12 noon would be $25; if the workshop is conducted in the morning and afternoon, then the workshop fee would be $50; if the workshop is conducted for two full days (equal to four sessions), then the workshop fee will be $100]. For participants registering less than a week before the scheduled workshop, the price per session raises $10].
- Some basic equipment is available for presenters to use during the workshop. Chalkboard, Lectern, Head Table, Cassette Player, CD player, TV, VCR, and/or DVD is available upon request.
Nota Bene: If you wish to use PowerPoint, you must bring your own computer and projector; a white screen is available upon request.
Basic Outline for Presenters:
- Workshops will be presented no matter the number of registrants.
- Any presenter who cancels the scheduled and advertised workshop may not be selected in the future if that person should decide to submit a proposal. The reasons for this are clear: In order to make the schedule work effectively, and to fulfill our obligation to potential participants, we need to make sure that only serious and reliable presenters are selected who will fulfill this.
- Presenters will receive a 50/50 split of proceeds with Camp Chesterfield.
- Presenters who live off grounds will receive a complimentary room for 1 night’s stay at the Western Hotel. If selected to present a workshop by the committee, the presenter must indicate when accepting the contract if this is to be the night before or the night of the workshop (not both). The presenter is welcome to stay longer, but at his/her own expense for regular lodging at the Western Hotel, Camp Chesterfield.
- The deadline for submitting workshop proposals is January 1, 2018 (proposals must be received on or by this date in order to be considered). Workshop presenters whose proposals are accepted by the committee will be notified by February 15, 2018. The program committee must receive the signed contracts and related documentation by March 1, 2018. The IAOS Summer Workshop Program’s brochure will be available on-line by April 1, 2018 (and in hardcopy-form at a later date).
Hints for a Good Workshop Proposal:
- Choose a topic or subject which you have expertise and experience and can lead competently and professionally;
- Remember, this is a workshop and attendees appreciate doing “workshop” types of activities. It is important to impart necessary and important information related to your topic to the participants, but do not make it too dry or academic; consider your audience and the fact that they want to gain something useful that is practical and easy to incorporate into their daily, spiritual lives. Schedule time for audience participation, if appropriate, which may include a related-activity to your topic that allows the attendees to put into use what you conveyed to them, question and answer period, individual or group work, etc. Participants like handouts and materials that they can take with them, so please try to incorporate these types of materials into your workshop. You are responsible for any materials, handouts, or copies that you wish to give to the attendees of your workshop. Please prepare these ahead of time and bring them with you.
- When writing your proposal be thorough, but succinct, in how you describe it. Ask yourself, “Is this something that would catch my eye enough to want to attend?”
- If you have presented a workshop in previous years at Camp Chesterfield, it is best not to do the exact same workshop two years in a row in order to attract more participants. It is preferred that you offer something new or to change it up a bit which offers new information (so previous participants would be interested in attending your workshop).
- It is not the responsibility of the committee to rewrite or try to guess at your intended meaning. Your proposal should be copy ready, meaning that little to no editing is needed for it to be used. Proposals that arrive late, incomplete, or unable to be read due to poor grammar may be rejected. Submit a proposal that you are proud of and which can stand on its own merit.
- We look forward to receiving your well-considered and written proposal on a topic that will be of interest to people who want to learn and grow spiritually. Good luck and Godspeed.
Please note the following “blackout” dates when a workshop cannot be scheduled due to officially sanctioned activities and classes at Camp Chesterfield:
- Opening Weekend—June 16 and 17, 2018
- July Summer Seminary—Monday, July 16 – Friday, July 20, 2018
- Annual IAOS Convention—Saturday, August 4, 2018
- August Seminary Weekend – Friday, August 10 – Sunday, August 12, 2018
- Labor Day Seminary Weekend—Friday, August 31 – Monday, September 3, 2018
- Spirit Fest—Saturday, September 15 – Sunday, September 16, 2018
- Fall Seminary Week—Monday, October 22 – Friday, October 26, 2018
*Nota Bene: The IAOS and Camp Chesterfield reserve the right to include additional activities, which have yet been added to the 2018 schedule that may preclude scheduling a workshop on those days.
ATTENTION Workshop Presenters!!!
Be sure to fill out the requested forms (download below) completely and accurately; send all requested information with your proposal either electronically to Rev. Vicki Corkell at firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the online submission button below.
Please type your proposal in complete sentences, as this information will be used to advertise your workshop before the event. You are also expected to advertise and promote your own workshop as well. Failure to submit all requested materials with your proposal may result in it being rejected. When sending your proposal electronically by e-mail, please be sure to write: SUMMER WORKSHOP PROPOSAL 2018 in the subject heading.
|MS Word Format
(Please fill out and email)
(Print, Scan, email, or mail)
Also, please include a recent color photo. Even if you have presented a workshop in a previous year, please include a new photo with your completed application/proposal.
Please submit your completed workshop proposal by e-mail (preferred method) to: Rev. Vicki Corkell, email@example.com
Deadline: January 1, 2018